January 4, 2021
January 31, 2021
February 25, 2021
Deadline for submissions
April 15, 2021
Finalists are announced and People’s Choice voting opens
Winners are revealed at the 2021 AZ Awards Gala and published in print and online
2021 Information Package
The 2021 AZ Awards is open to:
- Designers and design firms from all disciplines
- Architects, landscape architects and architectural firms
- Post-secondary students enrolled in design and architecture programs in 2020
- Clients and manufacturers
- Projects must be completed on or before December 31, 2020
- Products must be prototyped or in production
- Concepts must have been developed or presented for the first time in 2020 (This criterion refers only to entries in the CONCEPTS categories.)
- Furniture – residential furniture, office and contract furniture, outdoor furniture, furnishing accessories
- Furniture systems & collections – office systems, kitchen and bath furniture systems, storage systems, office and residential furniture collections
- Lighting fixtures – indoor and outdoor fixtures and systems
- Lighting Installations – permanent schemes and temporary installations
- Interior products – wall and floor coverings (wallpaper, rugs, etc.), housewares, textiles, window coverings, appliances
- Architectural products – sanitary fixtures and fittings (sinks, tubs, faucets, etc.), hardware, doors and windows, flooring (tiles, wood flooring, broadloom, etc.)
- Residential buildings – single-family, new builds, renovations and additions
- Residential buildings – multi-unit, new builds, renovations and additions
- Commercial and institutional buildings – over 1,000 square metres
- Commercial and institutional buildings – under 1,000 square metres
- Temporary and experiential installations – installations, exhibit designs, presentation centres/model suites, theatre sets and displays
- Adaptive re-use – projects that reimagine existing buildings or sites in innovative and sustainable ways
- Public and private landscapes
- Built Development Projects – Completed commercial, residential or mixed-use developments consisting of more than one building
- Unbuilt Development Projects – Unbuilt commercial, residential or mixed-use developments consisting of more than one building
- Infrastructure – bridges, transportation structures, etc.
- Urban Interventions – Redesigns to incorporate new green and public spaces into the built environment and schemes for ameliorating transit, cycling and pedestrian circulation
Experiential Graphic Design
- Way-finding, sign programs, information and map design, experiential brand identity
- Residential Interiors
- Commercial and institutional interiors
- Unbuilt projects – Projects previously entered for competition, and other as yet unbuilt buildings, landscapes and interiors
- Ideas/prototypes – Conceptual works, design schemes and objects not yet realized or not in production
A+ Award for Student Work
- Student work – any industrial design product, architectural structure, landscape, interior space or unbuilt/unrealized concept developed by a student enrolled in a post-secondary design or architecture program in 2020. The winner will receive a $5000 cash prize.
Social Good Award and Environmental Leadership Award
Besides the category in which they are submitted, entries may also be considered for the Social Good Award and/or the Environmental Leadership Award. A winner in each of these categories will be selected.
For the Social Good Award, projects must advance social equity and have a positive impact on the collective realm. For the Environmental Leadership Award, projects must show sensitivity and respect for the use and management of natural resources throughout their lifecycle, especially with respect to materials and energy use. Projects may be entered in one or both categories.
- Entries must be submitted and received via the online entry system by 11:59 pm EST on Thursday, February 25, 2021.
- Full payment must be received by the submission deadline. Entries submitted without the appropriate submission fee will not be eligible for judging. Payments are only accepted online.
- All images must be jpg format, at least 300 dpi resolution.
- Project descriptions and images must not contain the name or logo of the designer, architect, firm, company, client or manufacturer.
General Terms and Conditions
- All information and requested materials must be provided or the submission will be disqualified without notice or return of payment.
- Works are excluded from the competition if their presentation would infringe a right. The entrant authorizes Azure Publishing Inc. to publish the submission in the print edition of AZURE Magazine, on azuremagazine.com, and any websites affiliated with the AZ Awards competition. The submission may be reproduced, in whole or in part, for editorial and promotional purposes.
- No refunds will be issued under any circumstances.
- All submissions become the property of AZURE and therefore photography credits are not required and will not be included in publication. If the photography rights are owned by a party other than the submitter, the submitter must obtain copyright permission on behalf of AZURE.
- Images – You may submit up to 20 images and/or drawings/renderings in jpg format, at least 300 dpi (minimum of 9” height and width). Images must not contain the name or logo of the designer, architect, firm, company, client or manufacturer. If submitting a rendering, please ensure that this is clearly indicated in the file name.
- Video – Entrants are encourages to share videos of their work that help to communicate the project. It is preferred that the video is shared via web link (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo), but we will accept direct uploads in .mov, .mp4 or .mpg format with a file size less than 1 GB.
- Project Name – Select a name to represent your project or product. The project name must not contain the name of the designer, architect, firm, company, client or manufacturer.
- Project Description – No more than 600 words including objectives and how they were met, design challenges, technological and/or material innovations, social and environmental impact. Project descriptions and images must not contain the name or logo of the designer, architect, firm, company, client or manufacturer.
- Project Specs – No more than 300 words including dimensions, materials, fabrication techniques, manufacturing process.
- Early-bird Fees – For entries submitted by Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 5:00 pm EST
- A+ Award for Student Work – $35 per submission
- All other categories – $150 per submission for the first two submissions; $130 for each following submission
Regular Fees: Entries submitted after the early-bird deadline
- A+ Award for Student Work – $45 per submission
- All other categories – $175 for the first submission; $150 for the second submission; $130 for the third and all subsequent submissions
Each entry includes a 1-year digital subscription to AZURE Magazine, valued at $25.95 CAD.
Full payment must be received by the submission deadline. Entries submitted without the appropriate submission fee will not be eligible for judging. Payments are only accepted online.
All finalists are considered for the People’s Choice selection, decided by the general public. Voting will take place from April 15 to May 21, 2021 on awards.azuremagazine.com.
Each project is evaluated on its own merits according to the following four
- Aesthetics – Is the design contemporary, visually and intellectually stimulating? Does it provoke curiosity, have the capacity to uplift spirits or simply delight?
- Function – How well does it serve its intended use? Does it effectively resolve problems?
- Creativity – Does it incorporate a unique approach, use a new medium or materials? Is it technologically innovative, forward-looking?
- Social and Environmental Responsibility – Does it make respectful use of materials and resources? Does it possess a long life span? Does it contain recycled materials and/or can it be recycled? Does it provide a social benefit?