Can I enter multiple projects in one category, or one project in multiple categories?
Yes and yes! We even offer discounts on additional entries. For the complete list of submission rates, please click here.
Can submissions be made in a format where the text and images are graphically integrated in a designed page layout?
Please submit images and text documents separately.
Do I fill out my own project description or does AZURE have a template that I can use?
Please supply your own project description. There are no project description templates.
When do projects need to have been completed to enter them in the 2021 AZ Awards?
Projects must have been completed on or before December 31, 2020. Products must be prototyped or in production. Concepts must have been developed or presented for the first time in 2020 (this criteria applies only to entries in Concept categories).
Please explain “Concepts must have been developed or presented for the first time in 2020”?
This criterion refers only to the CONCEPTS category, not to the ARCHITECTURE, DESIGN, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE, EXPERIENTIAL GRAPHICS, INTERIORS, URBAN DESIGN or A+ Award categories. It simply means that your concept design must have been presented in 2020.
Do you have a student award?
Yes! Our A+ Award is open to any post-secondary student enrolled in a design or architecture program in 2020.
Can I submit my entry in another language?
While we accept – and encourage – entries from all around the world, at this time we can only accept submissions written in English.
Do I need to include images and/or video with my submission?
All submissions must include at least one (and no more than 20) photographs and/or drawings/renderings, in jpg format with a 300 dpi resolution. Please note that images must not contain the name or logo of the designer, architect, firm, company, client or manufacturer (an exception will be made only for branded environments, where the display of names or logos is an integral part of the design). Videos are optional, but encouraged.
Can I make changes to my entry?
If you don’t want to complete your entry in one sitting, you are welcome to start the entry, save it as a draft, and come back another time to make changes before submitting. Please note that edits cannot be made after an entry is submitted, so please ensure that your entry is complete before clicking ‘submit’!
What criteria is the jury looking for?
Each project is evaluated on its own merits according to the following criteria:
- Aesthetics: Is the design contemporary, visually and intellectually stimulating? Does it provoke curiosity, have the capacity to uplift spirits or simply delight?
- Function: How well does it serve its intended use? Does it effectively resolve problems?
- Creativity: Does it incorporate a unique approach, use a new medium or materials? Is it technologically innovative, forward-looking?
- Social and Environmental Responsibility: Does it make respectful use of materials and resources? Does it possess a long life span? Does it contain recycled materials and/or can it be recycled? Does it provide a social benefit?
How do I submit payment for my entry?
You can pay through our online entry system by Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
What happens after I submit my entry?
You’ll receive a confirmation email letting you know your entry has been successfully submitted. Keep an eye on the AZURE website for competition updates – finalists will be notified and announced on the site in April 2021. Winners will be announced live at the AZ Awards Gala (held in Toronto in June 2021) and published in the annual AZ Awards issue.
What do winners receive?
- The AZ Awards trophy – a unique one-of-a-kind trophy re-imagined each year by a prominent designer, and produced in limited editions exclusively for the AZ Awards winners
- Recognition of their achievements in print, online and at the AZ Awards Gala in Toronto
- Winner’s name and project viewed by thousands of AZURE readers and their networks
- International exposure through our media partners
- A complimentary press kit distribution on v2com newswire
- Student winner receives a $5000 cash prize
How will I receive my digital subscription?
Digital subscriptions are fulfilled by Zinio, the world’s largest digital newsstand. After you create an account on Zinio.com, you will receive an email each time a new issue is released. You can access your magazine via your account or the Zinio app from any device, and easily read your issues on your mobile phone, tablet or desktop.
What if I have an existing digital subscription?
If you have an existing digital subscription, the term will be extended by one year (six issues).
When will I receive my digital subscription?
Digital subscriptions will start following the closing of the AZ Awards submissions in late February 2021. The first issue will be May/June 2021, available in late April.